Friday, December 30, 2005

Giving to those who need

Christmas has come and gone and am I ever glad! This year it just didn't seem much like Christmas to me. I didn't get my white Christmas because there was no snow in Airdrie. I was kinda disappointed about that, but because the weather was soooo nice I got to go for a walk on my own on Christmas day that was most enjoyable. This has sort of become my tradition. I love having and hour or two on Christmas day to go for a walk and just enjoy nature, God and time by myself.

My mom had told me that she was doing something small for Christmas...in other words buying a few gifts. I was not very impressed when she told me this because I had thought we weren't doing anything. She told me that she was only buying things that she wanted to get for me/us. So the stress began, and although I knew there was no pressure to buy, I was trying to figure out what to buy. I had said to someone that if we were doing Christmas presents, I would really like to donate on behalf of the person for people in need. God reminded me of this and so for my brother was donated 4 bunnies to go to a family in Cambodia for food and for a source of income since the bunnies multiply so fast. For my dad, 4 chickens to a family in Cambodia for food and a start of a small business. And my mom, enough seeds to supply a family with fresh vegetables for a whole year (in Uganda). I bought them other little things, but not as important as this gift.

They all really appreciated it because they knew that instead of getting "junk" that they didn't really need, nor would remember who they got it from and why, they were contributing to some people that really needed food. They could be supplying the only food and income that that family was getting. This kind of giving felt good. I know I'll do it again next year.

I don't think I even really got into the Christmas spirit this year. God is doing some major re-organizing and re-decorating in my heart. He's moving around the furniture and getting rid of some of the old useless stuff. I can actually say it's fun. It hurts at times but I can see the bigger picture and that makes everything a-ok.

Hope you all had a Wonderful Christmas and remembered the true meaning of the season. Hope you didn't get caught up in the hubb-bubb of it all.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot... My Mom got me the best present ever. . . I was planning on buying a whole bunch of fun things, like jump ropes, chalk, marbles, jax, a parachute and all these different fun things before I went to Africa so I'd have all these fun things to play with the Children with...well, My mom bought me a PARACHUTE!!!! I am so excited, and am all ready to go again....funds always do cause a problem though.

1 comment:

Nin said...

you've been tagged, check my latest post :)