Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Rubber boots anyone?

In case you don't know and in order for this to make sense, I'm house sitting for the Pinels from this past Saturday until this Thursday.
On Sunday it had started to rain before I headed out to the farm after church and continued to rain until I left for a few hours around 5. I got out there and everything was quite mucky and I thought it couldn't get worse. I had to go and check on the animals to make sure they had food and water. I also had to flush the well by running water outside for a while (due to them shocking the well before they left) Everything was wet and there was wetness all around. I wore shorts so my pants wouldn't get soaked and wore sandals because I didn't think to bring rubber boots. I looked outside at their front pond and it was overflowing onto the road. Then the roof started to leak right on the kitchen table. So I got a bowl, but it was leaking in three spots and the bowl was just a little too small to catch all three drips. I was just bringing a bigger bowl to the table when another leak sprung inches away from these other three leaks. This one was coming down way faster. Then as the water drop hit the bottom of the bowl it would splash everywhere...went to get rags to put in the bottom of the bowl.
Monday morning, I woke up on my Birthday and got ready for work. I was running late for work and knew that I would be a little late. I decided to turn right when I got to the end of the driveway. (I actually asked God which way to go, and I believed that He said to go to the right)
I turned the corner and the road wasn't very good. My mom had told me the key to dirt roads is not to stop but not to go fast. I was going about 30 over this not so nice area of road...then I saw there was some nice road ahead. It was more sandy and there were tracks on top of the road instead of sunken in. I thought I was in for some smooth sailing. Ahead I saw some water on the road and knew that I would be having some fun ahead again. I guess I was paying too much attention to the puddle ahead and not enough to the road right in front of me. I went sliding to the left and almost hit the ditch....sliding to the right and almost hit the ditch...sliding to the left and barely hit the ditch. If I had been driving an automatic I probably wouldn't have had this problem, but I'm just new to driving standard and so I was trying to remember to hit the clutch before the brake and put it in neutral and so my reaction time wasn't quite there. I wasn't in the ditch too bad, but my attempt to get out only made it worse by crawling forward and getting my front tires stuck in a puddle of water. I grabbed some of my things from the car and started my journey back to the house. It wasn't nearly as far as I thought, but trying to stay on my feet was very interesting. I was picturing in my mind, me falling on my butt slipping in the mudd. Another adventure was not needed for my birthday. Walking home I told myself, I'm just making memories. I'll never forget the morning of my 23 Birthday...no harm done

p.s. some nice neighbor with a tractor pulled the car out of the ditch before my dad and Warren got to it.

3 comments:

Nin said...

wow, good thing you have a sense of humor or you'd be toast.

andrew + camille said...

That is amazing, you are a good story teller!! Ha ha..yes, good sense of humor!

Trail Rider said...

you're awesome! I love you! You rock my world! (giggles)